Thursday, August 10, 2006

subdrop

Subdrop, what is it, how do you cope with it?

Subdrop is the name given to the feeling often felt by subs after a scene as they return to 'normality' . It can happen within hours, other times it may take a few days. It can be over in no time at all, or can last as long as a few days.

One female sub I talked to likened it to feeling 'premenstrual' . Feeling irritable, unable to concentrate, a bit weepy, clingy, needy. For you male subbies out there, its not unlike a mild depression.

The sub will have been in an intense place during play, and added to this of course, are the hugely elevated amounts of naturally produced hormones, endorphins, adrenaline, etc that will still be flowing around the sub's body. These may take some time to return to normal levels, and there may well be a withdrawal effect, too. The sub will be going through a mental and physical cold turkey, as the endorphins are similar to opiates.

As a Domme after care of my sub is paramount to me. The effects of subdrop will vary from sub to sub, and therefore the way you deal with it will depend on the subs needs.

So how do we deal with it?

In whatever way works best is the answer. Great patience, care and affection will not only help fulfil the subs need for attention, but it also shows that their well being is important to the Dom/me. Not just while they are being used as a play partner, but as the person they are outside of play too. The bond shared during aftercare can be stronger than that made out of purely physical attraction or during play.

To cuddle with sub comfortable in my arms after play, is just as fulfilling in many ways, as the act of taking him to that special subspace of his. Many Dom/mes don't realise this need, and can neglect aftercare, this can be potentially damaging to a sub. For example if the scene has included a good dose of humiliation, the sub could well need your reassurance that seeing them in that state has not changed your opinion of them, often they will be dealing with feeling of guilt and will need to be soothed and reassured.

As a Dom/me you need to try and understand what the sub needs from you, and provide it. Keep them comfortable, watch them for signs of distress let then know you are there for them. With some practice, communication and a consistent approach, the sub will come to understand that you understands what is happening to them and that you are helping them get through it.

Quite often, a sub that has had several bad experiences of subdrop will begin to ask themselves if the highs achieved during subspace are worth the lows of subdrop set against them. If they know that their Dom/me will do all in their power to provide this aftercare then there will rarely be a question about going to subspace.

Dream`

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know from my experiences how bad subdrop can be, and how irritable, uncomfortable and miserable it made me, i know from a subs side of this that a lot of after care is need, and that touch and comfort kept me safe, happy, and i knew that i was cared for, the three things the body really craves when in subdrop

Dream` said...

Yes spectre lots of TLC is required, a touch, the sound of the Dom/mes voice all help.

But what helps most is sharing with others, so that they don't worry to much when they get it, and so they know how to cope.

:)

snarkly said...

Someone pointed out your blog to me, especially so I could read this one post.

Thankyou for it. As you say sharing helps... and reading that helped a lot. I've been there, done that doubting whether its worth it or if there is just something generally wrong with me for being so irritable and needy.

Seeing someone else write it gives me something to hold onto that its normal. This helps so much, I will save it and read and reread next time I feel it. I tend to withdraw... go cold, not speak up. This will help to remind me to say what I feel and show what I need.

Thankyou :)

Dream` said...

Hi snarkly,

You are very welcome, just remember you are not alone, and yes talking about what you need is important.

Regards

Dream